How to create, style and present content that captivates and converts visitors. Refer to "Web Site Design" page for structuring.
- Copyblogger's checklist for a great Landing Page! (excellent)
- Provide a steady stream of information, front and center
- At least 6 articles helping the customer need to be immediately accessible (reference: Psychotactics)
- Credibility section: customer-centered portfolio, testimonials
The Site's Message
- Clearly answers who I am
- Resonates with target audience
- Compelling value proposition
- Keep my marketing consistent over time! Customers can build trust
- Site's not about me, but the users/clients
- Visitors feel welcome and appreciated
- Gets them what they need
- Helps them get what they want, and when
- Bring a smile to their faces
- Most important info: highlighted, immediately visible, large, white space
- Supporting info: heart of the page, spread-out, subheads, blockquotes, bullet lists
- Least important info: sidebars, copyright. Least visually striking, smaller, low contrast, set apart from main content
- Step away for a day or two, then come back and evaluate front page's effectiveness. Show to friends.
See Marketing page for more details
- Find the story behind my product. It needs:
- A hero
- A goal
- A mentor
- A moral
- About my clients and how I solve their problems!
- About how I differentiate from the competition
- Simple with clear, relevant images (usually a large banner is enough)
- What do they need and how do I do it?
- Call to action: sign up, contact me, stay in touch
- Ask if they want more info. e.g. monthly e-mail with incitement to go back to page
- Order info hierarchically
- Link to testimonials
- Testimonials: with headshots
- Captivating "about" page: personal story, why I do what I do and how I can help
- Emphasize my strengths
- Short and sweet! relevant to client
How to Write One
- "About" page is about empathy for visitors
- Include visitors in conversation
- Readers ask:
- What's in this for me?
- Am I in the right place?
- Can they help with my problem?
- Opening statement: ignite a feeling
- Demonstrate you know why they're here
- e.g. through a story, solution, answers
- Follow up: empathic paragraph
- Stir some emotions about reader's situation
- Be on a mission: display values, beliefs
- Let others speak for you: testimonials, social proof
- "People talk about me and some of it is actually good"
- "People besides my mom and best buddy like my site"
- Bio: towards end of the page!
- Because you warm up people first and show you care
- Why do I do what I do?
- What's my mission?
- 1-3 short, engaging stories about background
- 1-3 photos across entire page
- Ask to keep in touch
- Sign-up box in 3 parts of the page
Article on Copyblogger (Feb 4, 2015): guest blogging => conversion
- Landing Page: a page without navigation - so people don't get distracted from the goal you have
- Write strong guest posts and then connect with the audience. Elements:
- Guest post
- Author bio
- Sign-up incentive
- Landing page
- ...everything after that
- Empathize with readers in blog post (to initiate conversation)
- Author bio:
- Who you are and what you do
- Glimpse of personality (mission)
- Entice to click through to site
- Bait! (e.g. free eBook) (solves audience's struggles)
- Landing Page
- Consistent w/ bio
- Most important info first