About images, infographics, slides, graphs, quotes etc. Tools and resources for free images, editing and creation.
- Illustration trends for 2017
- Oct 13, 2015: Copyblogger about impact of images, which to use and where to get them
- Older: Article on Copyblogger about why images are important
Free Stock Images
- 53 free image resources (Bufferapp - great collection!)
- How to find pictures for my blog (Smart Passive Income)
- Find great free images (Copyblogger)
- PicMonkey for image editing
- Piktochart to make infographics
- More tools for infographics, graphs, visualizations etc.
- Quozio to visualize quotes (make images with quotes)
The Power of Visuals
- Human brain processes images in 13 milliseconds
- Good images: evoke the emotion you want and match your personality
- Visual storytelling is very important! Show, don't tell
- Literal vs. conceptual images:
- Literal: literally show their subject (e.g. professional at work)
- Conceptual: to sell an idea! It suggests the idea, doesn’t show it (e.g.: an opening door)
- Make it resonate with reader’s everyday experiences
- Inspiration: google search terms "conceptual" or "abstract"
Big Brand System on the "Visual Multiplier" effect
- Amplify your message: visual communication is the digital equivalent of a megaphone!
- Ideas: spark
- Words: kindling
- Visuals: gasoline
- Attention: visuals are almost impossible to ignore
- Retention: visual information glues info to your brain. Just adding a picture dramatically increases the chances of people remembering your message.
- Persuasion: images make information more believable
- Proliferation: your message spreads farther, faster
- Hence: you can make more of an impact with the same amount of information. To harness the effect:
- Select 2-3 channels for dissemination - e.g. Facebook, blog, Instagram
- Create simple visual media to use on those channels
- Translate some of your key written ideas into visual content (photos, slides, graphs)
How to Use Images
Article on Copyblogger
- Details, e.g. your work tools
- Close-ups from your environment
- Retouch images
- Apply artistic alterations
- Add text (high contrast)
- Use filters to establish identity through colour/style
- Design templates to include same elements across images
- Date, logo, name, links...
- For: quotes, announcements, sales, promos, competitions
- They're personal and unique
- Use them to illustrate core messages
- Article on Copyblogger provides drawing inspiration
How to create Videos
Article on Social Media Examiner (Mike Bal, Jan 2015)
- Choose the channel: e.g. Instagram, Vine, Youtube.
- Style: time-lapse, stop-motion, standard video
- Vine app allows you to shoot stop-motion
- Article shows how, including sophisticated editing features
- Hyperlapse app (by Instagram) for time-lapse video
- Regular video:
- Shoot a 5-10-second test video first!
- Edit it after shooting - e.g. using iMovie app
What to Publish
- Screenshots of reviews
- Close-ups / zoom in on details (unusual perspective, highlights features)
- High quality images that interest my audience
- Share raw snapshots in addition to staged HQ images
- Establishes variety and shows you're not just a glossy product
- "Caption this" photos (game with community)
How to Publish
- Always include "Alt" tags describing an image! Not everybody may be able to see the image.
- Allow people to use my pics with backlinks
- Captions: 2-3 sentences long
- Feel free to use witty, relevant memes
- Include text (messages, quotes, complete content) on images! (remember 20% rule for Facebook)
- Link my photos back to Flickr (do this anywhere I share the photo)
- Mix up the types of images I post (photos, banners, infographics, memes...)